Gem County

Commissioners | Departments | Judicial | Services | Home    

Home :: Clerk-Auditor-Recorder » Passports


The following items are necessary for obtaining a passport:

  • Driver's License, State-issued Identification Card, or proof of citizenship

  • Original Birth Certificate, State Certified Copy of Birth Certificate, or original passport

  • Original naturalization papers, if naturalized citizen

  • Two passport photographs -Cannot be Polaroid or digital- Must have white or off-white background- Must be 2" x 2" in size

  • Payments as follows: 
    $135 for adults and $105 for minors 15 years and under. CASH, CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY.


Passport Applications are available at:
Gem County Clerk’s Office
Gem County Courthouse, Room 202 415 E. Main Street
Emmett, ID 83617

For information via the Internet:

Passport Application Form:

Passport Check the Status:


If I send my original Birth Certificate along with my Passport Application, is it returned?

Is a hospital Birth Certificate acceptable?
No. Only a State-issued Certified Copy or original Birth Certificate is accepted.

How long does it take to receive my passport?
You will receive your passport in four (4) to six (6) working weeks. An expedited passport will take two (2) to three (3) working weeks
at an additional cost of $60 per passport application. Overnight service to the passport agency must be purchased at the
U. S. Post Office and presented to the passport clerk with the passport application.   

How many years is my passport valid?
If you are under the age of sixteen (16), your passport will be valid for five (5) years. Sixteen (16) years and older, the passport is valid for ten (10) years.

Does your office do renewals?
Gem County does supply renewal applications; however, we do not process them.

Where can I get my picture taken?
Some suggestions are: § Image West Photography, 205 W. 5th St., Emmett.  Please Call Ahead 365-6240 §
                                 § Walgreens, 184 West Highway 52, Emmett.  365-4327 §

Please refer to the Yellow Pages under "Passport Photos" for a complete listing.

How long do I have to renew my passport after it expires?
There is a two (2) year period that renewal by mail is accepted. After that time period, you must reapply.

Can I sign my application before I bring it in?
No. The application must be signed in the presence of an authorized passport clerk.

If my children are applying for a passport, what must they do?
If the child is under sixteen (16) years of age, the legal guardian may sign on behalf of the child. If the child is sixteen (16) years of age and older, he or she will need to accompany their legal guardian and sign the application in the presence of an authorized passport clerk.



Home | Commissioners | Departments | Judicial
Services | Terms of Use
Site Map

Web Site Dedication
Commissioners' Proclamation

Gem County Email

©2008 Gem County, Idaho
Web Site by Surf The Snake