Gem County

Commissioners | Departments | Judicial | Services | Home    

Home :: Development Services Department » Planning and Zoning FAQ's


Q:  When and where are the Zoning Commission meetings held?

  The meetings are scheduled on the second Monday of every month at 7:00 PM. If
that Monday is a holiday, the meeting will be held on the second Tuesday of the month.
The meetings are held at the Gem County Courthouse on the third floor in the large
courtroom.  The Courthouse is located at 415 East Main Street in Emmett. The agenda
is posted on the website and at the Courthouse one week prior to the meeting.

Q:  When and where are the Planning Commission meetings held?

  The meetings are scheduled on the third Monday of every month at 10:00 AM. The
meetings are held at the Emmett City Hall, which is located at 501 East Main Street.

Q:  What is the notification procedure for a public hearing?

  At least 3 weeks prior to the hearing, a notice is mailed to the affected impact
agencies and property owners of record within 300 feet of the boundaries of the
applicant’s property.  At least 15 calendar days prior to the hearing, a notice including
the time, place and summary of the proposal, are published in the Messenger Index. A
sign is posted on the property at least 1 week prior to the hearing date, or 15 days prior
to the hearing if it is a standard subdivision.

Q:  What is the process for testifying at a public hearing?

  The County has prepared the following brochure explaining the public hearing

Q:  How do I get a copy of the minutes from a public hearing?

A:  The approved minutes are posted on our website. You may also request a copy of
        the full recording on CD for a $5.00 fee.

Q:  Can I get a copy of the Zoning Ordinance from your office?

A:  Yes. The Gem County Zoning Ordinance (Gem County Code Title 11)
Subdivision Ordinance (Gem County Code Title 12) are on our web site.
From there you may view the ordinances and print them out if you wish.
Hardcopies are available for sale at our office.  Cost is $30.00 for a printed
version and $10 for a CD version.

Q:  What is the zoning classification of my property?

  You may call our office at (208)365-5144 with the location (address or street name)
of the property and nearest cross street so that we may determine the correct zone. In
addition, the Gem County Zoning Map is available on our website.

Q:  What are the application fees for land use applications?

A:  Please see our fee schedule.

Q:  Can I divide my property?

  Yes, if all of the required standards of the Subdivision Ordinance can be met.
Every land division less than 40 acres in size in Gem County is subject to the Subdivision
Ordinance and a plat application is required for any land division.  For more information,
please refer to Chapter 3 of the Subdivision Ordinance located on our website.

Q:  What if I wish to divide my land into lots of 40-acres, or larger, in size?

  Division of land into quarter-quarter sections or into parcels equal to or more
than forty (40) acres without development (building permit) capacity is exempt
from the Subdivision Ordinance. Division of up to four (4) parcels equal to or more
than forty (40) acres is also exempt.

Q:  How do I determine if my property lies within a flood zone?

A:  For flood zone determinations, please call 208-365-5144, or visit our office
located at 109 S. McKinley Avenue in Emmett.  We will check our FEMA maps and determine where your property lies.

Q:  If my property lies within a flood zone, can I still get a building permit?

A:  Yes, as long as you meet the requirements of Title 13 of the Gem County CodeAn Elevation Certificate is required when a property lies within a flood
zone, among other standards.

Q:  What is the process if I feel my neighbor is in violation of the Gem County
 Zoning Ordinance?

A:  Please see the Code Enforcement FAQ section.

Q:  Do I need a permit to have a daycare in my home?

A:  You will need to apply, and be approved, for a Special Use Permit if you plan
on caring for more than five (5) children other than your own.  The Special Use
 Permit Application may be downloaded from our website and typically takes
60 – 75 days to process.

Q:  When is a kennel permit required?

A:  The Gem County Zoning Ordinance allows up to four (4) dogs, six months or older, to reside on any single property. If your property lies within any of the Agriculture or Commercial zones, you may apply for a Special Use Permit to allow more than four (4) dogs.  Commercial kennels are prohibited within residential zones.

Get Acrobat Reader gif

Gem County utilizes Adobe Acrobat Reader and pdf files. You will need to have this program installed on your computer to view these files. You can download this free by going to or clicking on the button to the left.

Office Information

109 S. McKinley Ave
Emmett, ID 83617

Phone: (208) 365-5144
Fax: (208) 365-2499

8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

9:00 am - 5:00pm

Other Information

Active Public Hearings

Applications & Checklists

Building Permits Issued

City of Emmett

Ordinances & Amendments

Links of Interest

Planning Commission

Zoning Commission




Home | Commissioners | Departments | Judicial
Services | Terms of Use
Site Map

Web Site Dedication
Commissioners' Proclamation

Gem County Email

©2004 Gem County, Idaho
Web Site by Surf The Snake